8 Hour Survival at The Americana, Glendale pt. 2

On the verge of passing out from exhaustion, we rejoin our brave survivor at the local book store as he continues the second half of his survival challenge.

12:20pm: The producers were kind enough to drop off a single slice of pizza which saved me from my zombie-like state. I slowly savor the pizza knowing that I wouldn’t have another meal until I finished this survival challenge.

Renewed, I wandered around the area with the producers who gave me advice on the surrounding area. I would be lying if I said I was happy to see them leave me for the rest of my challenge.

3:00pm: A considerable time has passed and I am now perched on a balcony enjoying the warm sun and cool breeze.

The slice of pizza help combat my fatigue but it didn’t eliminate it completely. To distract myself from my state and to prevent myself from falling asleep (It’s quite risky for a pleb to let his guard down in such a city as Glendale.) I decided to wander around the area and put my camera to good use.

3:15pm: Fetuses (read: tweens) have taken position in the table in front of me. Although I have my camera with me, I’m afraid to take the shot. If they notice, who knows what sorts of awkwardness will go down. Just to be safe, I pretend to be productive on my laptop. While we’re on the subject, I have 2 hours of battery life remaining. That should get me through to the end of the challenge but we’ll see how it goes.

3:35pm: The fetuses have left and it feels peaceful — relaxing, almost. I have one hour left in my challenge with 1:55 remaining on my laptop’s battery. My LG G3 is hooked up to my Anker portable charger so I don’t have to worry about that. For the first time today, I feel like I can actually survive this challenge and I sit back in my seat and let my guard down just a little.

Just as I sit back in my seat, I get word from the producers that my extraction vehicle is en route and would be at my location in 24 minutes. I breathe a heavy sigh of relief, pack my belongings and head over to the rendezvous point. As I walk to the extraction zone, I reflect on my day. The survival item I brought turned out to be completely useless. I should have opted for a portable wi-fi hotspot instead, however the wi-fi in the area wasn’t too bad.

As I step onto the bus, I give my camera one more thought of appreciation and congratulate myself for surviving my toughest survival challenge yet.

Missed part 1? Check it out here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s